Measuring Up to the New York Next Generation Learning Standards
Measuring Up, revised and updated to the Next Generation Learning Standards, offers standards-based instruction to meet the needs of NY students.
- Use to supplement your curriculum or for intervention, before-school or after-school programs, and summer school
NY Next Generation Learning Standards-Driven Achievement
- Lessons designed to offer more support for collaborative teaching with additional opportunities to model instruction.
- Introduce concepts by connecting what students will learn; to what they may already know; to real-world examples.
- Greater emphasis on academic language to support learning complex content and abstract ideas
- Scaffold learning with guided instruction, questions, hints, and checklists at point of learning with additional opportunities to model.
- NEW – Learning Together Activity provides a collaborative activity included in every lesson aligned to the specific standard.
- NEW – Share It! Supports Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework
- NEW - Two Independent Practices included in every lesson. First practice includes question supports and offer more beginning items. Second practice includes a mix of levels with emphasis on more rigorous types and include multiple choice and constructed response items.
- Motivate students to master the NY Next Generation Learning Standards with checkpoints, hints, turn and talk, think about it, sketch it and other prompts.
- Instruction to incorporate the real-world lesson goal
- Differentiation for struggling, advanced, and English language learners
- Scoring rubrics, checklists, and graphic organizers.
- Written to the NY P-12 Common Core Learning Standards as test will not be changing until 2022
- Format emulates and prepares students for NY State Test.
- Prescriptive answer guide will include an alignment to the Next Generation Learning Standards
- Use results to re-teach and remediate
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
Standards-based literacy instruction features:
- Foundational and word knowledge skills to academic vocabulary building
- Language conventions and writing composition with specific handbook that supports Anchor Standards L.1 and L.2 and offers instruction and examples for each skill
- Informational text and literature of varying text types, genre and complexity to match the updated lexile levels
- Integration of knowledge and ideas
- Building knowledge drawing upon previously read or known information
View Lesson Samples
Lessons lead to mastery of mathematical concepts with:
- Broad written and verbal interactions
- Making connections between and among concepts
- Multi-step complex problem solving
- Procedural skills and fluency
- Integrated mathematical practices
- Various problem-solving solutions
- Balance of conceptual understanding, procedural skill and application
View Lesson Samples